Thursday, July 26, 2012

This and That

  • We are all back home on the less-sunny, low 70's side of the state. I know people around here are wishing for more of a summer but I'm quite happy to return to milder temps having spent three weeks in the 90's. I know many people in other parts of the country would be grateful for these temps as well. Feels quite refreshing, really. 
  • In preparing to leave our home on the Other Side of the Mountains, I found myself reverting back to my old ways. I have a strong desire to leave that house spic and span so that I can return not feeling as though I have to immediately jump into housekeeping mode. I did ask the boys to clean their bathroom, which Jack assured me he did. My spot-check assured me that he did not. At least not to my standards. And in my rush to get us on the road and out of town I did not grab that opportunity to bring him back downstairs and show him all of the ways the bathroom was not, in fact, clean. I just did it myself. Two steps forward, one step back.
  • All was not a complete loss, however. In our race to get on the road, Jack was perhaps more anxious than anyone to see us meet our noon departure goal (which might explain the rush-job on the bathroom) as he has a social life waiting for him back home (no one else does). Still, he was patient and good-natured but did finally inquire whether or not I thought we would be leaving at noon as planned. I informed that we would be far more likely to leave at noon if someone could give the pup a much needed 20 minute walk. He jumped up, grabbed the leash, and headed out the door with our furry bundle of energy. Lesson #56: When a child is motivated, the right request will almost always be met with enthusiasm. 
  • While driving across the state I passed the time by listening to the news on the sattelite radio. Given the grim events of the past 24+ hours you can imagine what the main story was. My kids were all plugged into headphones so I was able to listen freely without worrying about inappropriately frightening my sensitive, tender-hearted 7 year old. Jack would occasionally unplug but given that he is 17, I knew he could not only handle the news accounts but part of me wanted him to hear. I don't want him moving through his life in fear, but a 17 year old boy can usually use some extra doses of caution and suspiscion. I want him to be aware that bad things can happen and that in his age group he is somewhat statistically more likely to be caught in a dangerous situation. I kept glancing sideways at my man-child and thinking, Please be careful...Please be safe...No one is invincible...
  • You know you are witnessing a horrifyingly awful piece of current events when you find yourself turning to your teenage son and saying, I know that chances are you will never ever be in a situation like this, but I just want to say that it sounds like the majority of the survivors were the ones who hit the ground, found cover, stayed calm and didn't call attention to themselves. For once he didn't scoff at my uninvited moment of motherly concern. He nodded seriously and just said, Yeah...you're right.
  • At one point, Jack could see that I was visibly upset by some of the eye-witness accounts and asked why I kept listening? I told him that it was because for now, from many states away, that's all I can offer these innocent victims. I can hear their stories, listen to their names, and offer up prayers on their behalf. It seemed the least I could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment